Monday, January 6, 2014

My lazy ovaries..


Today was my first acupuncture appointment.  After some initial paperwork I met with my TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) doctor.  He explained to me that when you get a cleaning lady you tend to become lazy.  Well, the same thing happens when you take birth control pills, it makes your ovaries lazy.  So apparently, I'm lazy inside and out.  Hmrph!

Source
I won't lie, the idea of a bunch of little needles sticking into me did not sound appealing at all.  Yet, I persevered.   The doctor had me lay on my back, he exposed about 4 inches on my abdomen (think belly button and lower region) and then exposed my lower legs by rolling up my pants.  He then proceeded to place four needles in a diamond shape on my abdomen, three in each of my legs and four in my head.  (I think, some needles I'd feel a tiny sensation as they went in, others I felt nothing).  He then placed a heating lamp over the four needles in my abdomen.  He left the room for 30 minutes.  During the first 3 minutes I thought the needles were just annoying enough to keep me from being able to relax.  I started some meditative relaxing activities (feeling the body ground down and become heavy, relaxing the jaw by taking the tongue off the roof of my mouth, etc...)  Next thing I knew I was in a psuedo-sleep state and not to happy when he interrupted my rest 30 minutes later.

As part of my treatment plan he gave me 2 different bottles of TCM herb mixes in pill form.  In all, he is recommending 33 pills a day.  You read that right, 33 pills a day. On top of the other 12 supplements I am taking a day.  So in total, 45 pills a day.   I have to urge to point out that I can quit anytime I want, really.
I'm to do acupuncture 2x/week until my period returns.  Since this isn't covered by insurance it'll cost me ~$180/week.  Sigh, that's money I could be spending on shoes, wine, or really nice back massages.  I'm hoping I get a period quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment